5.10.2018

April 2018 Reading

I have been reading a lot more lately. Eight books to be exact for April. I think the main reason why is I got my mom's old ipad and between the kindle app and my library app I have tons more to read. Hopefully by the end of May I'll be halfway to my reading goal for the year.

- - - - -

THE MOUNTAIN BETWEEN US

I did see that this had been made into a movie before I ever started reading it. Or rather, this one I listened to on Audible. At first I didn't think I was going to care for it, mostly because I didn't care for the voice of the reader. But then once the story got going I really enjoyed it. Set in the present day it's the story of a perilous journey that two strangers find themselves on together. After their plane crashes they must push through the rugged snow filled mountains if they are going to survive. The book does have a plot twist and unfortunately I had guessed it pretty quickly so that was a bit of a let down. Overall though I quite enjoyed this one. I did watch the movie within a week of reading the book and basically felt Hollywood ruined it.

4 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

A CURIOUS BEGINNING

This was a fun read. It felt like a YoungAdult genre only a bit grown up. Plenty of twists along the way with a bit of romance. A period piece with kidnapping, the circus and a royal twist. I'd like to ready more of this series and more from the author.

4 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

COUNTED WITH THE STARS

When reading the Bible, do you ever wonder what it would of been like to have been alive during that day? This is the story of an Egyptian slave who is befriended by a Jewish slave and their story of the plagues that Egypt endured before the Israelites were set free to go through the desert to the Promised Land. I really enjoyed this book. The writings of the author make that section of the Bible more alive to me now. I want to read the rest of the series.

5 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

BRIDE FOR KENDALL

Such a short, but cute read. JoAnn is chosen to travel far from the city she has known to be a wife for Kendall, a Canadian Mountie. With so many difference and no time for courting before their marriage, can they find love and make their marriage last? I have a few more of these books as their are a ton in the series.

4 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

FOR LOVE AND HONOR

Imagine living in a time where a birthmark could be taken as a sign of being a witch?! Lady Sabine lives with that danger daily. Will the Knight her grandmother is eyeing for her look beyond that and see the smart, God-fearing woman that she is? This was another quick read that I enjoyed. I saw after I read it that it is listed as book 3 in a series but it read fine as a stand-alone.

4 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

THE KREMLIN CONSPIRACY

Imagine a Christian version of a Jack Ryan story and you would have this book. It was a bit of a slow burn for me but by the end I quite enjoyed it. It did feel a bit long, but the author really sets up all the characters for you. Plenty of action, though I might enjoy this genre more in a movie setting.

4 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

STALKING JACK THE RIPPER

Young Adult historical fiction. Audrey Rose is just a teenager but she works with her uncle doing autopsies and sneaks into his classes disguised as a boy. There she meets Thomas who she finds is annoyingly charming. Together they work to solve the Jack the Ripper crimes and everyone is a suspect. This series is another I'd like to keep reading someday.

3 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

FRANKENSTEIN

I'm still working my way through some classics this year. I read the abridged version of this as a child. This is another book I listened through using Audible. Some books for me are better read than listened to and I think that classics are those kinds of books. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would and just kind of got lost in the reading of it.

2 out of 5 stars

- - - - -

- Jessica

0 comments:

Post a Comment

--->>> comment <<<---